Friday, July 17, 2009

South Africa Part Four: The Arrival of Friends




So the hinged brace is AMAZING. Thank you Mom, Lyn, Shannon and John for making that happen. The knee continues to get better and better, slowly. I can get to most climbing areas which is challenging but good. Walking on good trail is super easy now... I can almost keep up with the others. However, when I encounter a 3 foot rock I have to treat it like a boulder problem. I quickly assess for good foot holds to break up the steps, plant the crutch with my right hand and carefully mantel up, pressing off of the crutch. It's pretty sweet. Sometimes I need to abandon one crutch to use a hold at the top to help pull myself up. So by the time we reach any of the destination areas I have already had a full day of climbing. Nalle eat your heart out. I've been having a better time getting lots of sweet video of the crew and cheering them along.

Lyn, Paul and Cam are now here and I'm excited that Beth and Randy will be arriving shortly. The five of them are staying in the much cuter/cozier Sassie house. That's right... I'm dissing on our Ernie house. I'll be a fixture in their place for sure, which is only a short walk away. :)

Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. Its true she has sent more problems than all of us combined!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GLAD! the brace is helping! Hey! I wanna see the "music makin" videos!! when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I love those flowers - beautiful photos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are making the most of your disability---good for you. I think if I continue to toggle between your blog and Justin's blog I will be able to somewhat visualize your adventure. Please keep us updated.

    Frank A.

    ReplyDelete